- 1 lb. 95% lean ground beef
- 3 cups sliced fresh cremini mushrooms (8 oz.)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup 50% less sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- ½ to ¾ tsp. ground chipotle chile pepper (we went for ¾ tsp.)
- 6 multigrain hamburger buns, split and toasted (we didn’t toast the bread)
- 6 slices Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño pepper or cheddar cheese (we used Kraft Hot Habanero Big Slice)
- Sliced red onion (we halved then sliced the onion)
- Take a large skillet out and set the heat to medium-high. Once the skillet’s hot, add the beef and mushrooms to the skillet followed by the garlic. Cook until the meat’s fully cooked. Drain off any fat.
- Add the next 6 ingredients (tomato sauce – ground chipotle chile pepper) to the skillet. Wait for a boil to occur, turning the heat down so the dish is at a simmer afterwards. Let the dish cook for 5 to 6 minutes or however long it takes for the sauce to thicken up (should still be somewhat saucy). Serve in buns, topped with cheese and the onion slices.
Makes 6 sloppy joes (little less than ½ cup of sloppy joe mixture)
Recipe source unknown.