- 12 chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), skinned
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt (we used 3 tsp.)
- 3 teaspoons canola oil (we used 3 ½ teaspoons)
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (we used kosher salt)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 can (13.66 oz.) coconut milk
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 ½ cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Take a 6-quart slow cooker out and spray the inside of it with cooking spray. Take the garlic salt and spread it over the chicken thighs. Take a 12-inch skillet and pour 1 ½ teaspoons of the oil in. Turn the heat up to medium-high and wait for the oil to get hot. At this point, add half of the chicken thighs to the skillet (we only put four thighs in at a time to avoid overcrowding & possible steaming) and cook 6 to 8 minutes (we went for 8 minutes), flipping halfway through the cooking time. Once both side are browned, place the chicken in the slow cooker. Repeat what you did for the first batch of chicken with what’s left of the oil and chicken*.
- Now that all the chicken is in the slow cooker (it took laying half of the chicken on top of the other half to fit it in the slow cooker), place the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, ginger, lime peel, curry powder and salt in the skillet. Cook everything for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Now add the vegetable mixture to the slow cooker as well. In a small mixing bowl, mix together the sriracha, coconut milk, and whipping cream, pouring it over the vegetables in the slow cooker afterwards.
- Put a lid on the slow cooker and set it to HIGH heat. Let the dish cook for 4 hours.
- 15 minutes prior to the dish being done cooking, look at the bag the rice came in for cooking instructions and cook the rice according to those instructions. Right before serving, stir the lime juice and cilantro into the slow cooker. Serve the chicken and vegetables with the rice.
*While we did use 1 ½ teaspoons of oil to cook the first 4 chicken thighs in, we used 1 teaspoon of oil for the subsequent batches.
Serves 6 (2 chicken thighs, around ¾ cup of the vegetable mixture, and ¾ cup rice per serving)
This is such a scrumptious dish. We love it because it’s not only tasty, it’s cheap to make and has a comfort food feel to it !
Recipe source unknown.
Hope you enjoy life !