- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed* (we’d suggest halving or possibly quartering the tomatillos so they’re easier to puree)
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. oil (we used Colavita extra-virgin olive oil)
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Tortillas (we used corn tortillas)
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (we used Kraft Pepper jack cheese)
- Puree the following ingredients in a blender: tomatillos, jalapeño, garlic, water, onion, cilantro, and salt. Pour the oil into a large skillet and wait for the oil to get hot. Pour the pureed mixture into the skillet and cook until the sauce is thick. Stir in the chicken (we didn’t). Serve the mixture in a tortilla topped with cheese.
We tried to get a nice looking picture of this but that just wasn’t going to happen ! Despite how the food looks, this is such a simple yet scrumptious dish. The tomatillo sauce is bright and citrus-y from the tomatillos and has a little bit of heat to it. Even though the recipe says to toss the chicken in the sauce, we enjoy just spreading some of the sauce over the chicken. The cheese can also add a little bit of heat. By the way, you can easily make this vegan ! We’ve used the tomatillo sauce with Beyond Meat chicken strips and it was just as delicious, you don’t even miss the cheese !
*We wanted to share this picture of what a tomatillo looks like with the husk on and what it looks like after the husk is removed, just in case you may never have seen a tomatillo before:
Recipe source unknown.
We weren’t paid in any form to mention Colavita, Kraft, or Beyond Meat.
Take care everybody !