- ¾ cup cold water
- 6 tablespoons light rum
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- 6 (2-ounce) paper or plastic cups or shot glasses
- 6 pop sticks
- Take a small saucepan out and add to it the water, rum, lime juice and sugar. Turn the heat up just high enough for a simmer to occur. Once simmering, add the mint into the saucepan, lightly mashing it afterwards. Let it simmer for 2 minutes then take the saucepan off the heat. Let the mixture cool for 15 to 20 minutes (we went with 15 minutes).
- Strain the mixture into a glass measuring cup (we put a strainer over a small mixing bowl). Throw away the mint leaves. Divide the mixture among the 6 cups. Place a small piece of aluminum foil over each cup. Place them in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Take each stick and place it through the middle of the foil. Leave in the freezer for 2 hours or until firm.
- When you’re ready to eat, take the foil off and peel away the paper cups or with a plastic cup, gently twist it out or if you’re using shot glasses, run the bottom of the glass under cool running water until the pop comes out or run a small thin knife around the inside edge until the pop comes loose (we used paper cups).
This is a really refreshing popsicle to have on a hot day. The mint comes through right away, we loved it. We will say that you’re not going to get drunk from eating this (we couldn’t taste the rum at all) but this was still a treat we enjoyed regardless.
Recipe source unknown.
Take care everybody !