- 1 box (1 lb. 2.3 oz.) Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix
- ¼ cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 oz. dark or bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped (we used bittersweet chocolate)
- Coarsely ground sea salt (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Take a 9-inch square pan (we only had an 8-inch square pan) and grease the inside of the pan with your choice of either shortening or cooking spray (we used cooking spray).
- Take a large mixing bowl out and mix the brownie mixture, water, oil, eggs and cayenne pepper together using a spoon just enough to blend everything together. Fold in your chopped chocolate afterwards. Pour the batter into the greased pan, making sure that everything’s spread out evenly afterwards.
- Stick the pan in the oven to cook for 35 to 40 minutes (we put ours in for 37 minutes) or until a toothpick that you stick into the brownie 1 inch from the side of the pan comes out looking mostly clean. Take the pan out of the oven and let it cool down for at least 10 minutes before cutting the brownies into 5 rows by 4 rows*. You can enjoy this warm or when it’s cool.
*Because we used a smaller pan we could only get 4 rows by 4 rows.
We didn’t taste any heat when we initially took a bite but by the end of one whole piece, you could feel the heat ! The sea salt wasn’t something the original recipe suggested but when we tried sprinkling a little over our individual pieces, we enjoyed the brownies that much more !
We found this recipe in a Betty Crocker cookbook.
We weren’t paid in any form to promote Betty Crocker.
Take care everybody !