Today we had to put Ghost to sleep. We were lucky enough to have him as part of the family for the last 4 years. Before then, he was just a stray that was starting to hang around the house. We thought, “What is a pretty boy like you doing out on the streets?”. He was always kind of dirty when he showed up but we could see how beautiful he was. Over the course of the next 6 months or so, we slowly gained his trust. It was wonderful when he decided to trust us. We were doing yard work and he kept following us around, shortly thereafter we got him neutered and he became part of the inside family. At first he didn’t seem to know what to do with being inside. He didn’t know how to play with toys and was leery of being too close to the other cats. After a couple of weeks, he adjust to this new way of life and started to relax. He was almost always a sweet boy and he got along well with every cat except one. When we would come home, he’d love to greet us at the door and do stallion rears so we would pet him, he was always affectionate with us. He gave us almost 4 years of wonderful memories and for that we are grateful. We’ll never know how old he was but we hope that these last 4 years were the best years of his life. Here are some of our favorite pictures of him:
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist lemon cake mix (we used Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme Deliciously Moist Cake Mix)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup gold tequila or water (we used gold tequila)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 eggs
- 1 box (4-serving size) lime-flavored gelatin (we used a 3 oz. package of Great Value lime gelatin)
- 2 containers Betty Crocker Whipped fluffy white frosting
- 1 teaspoon electric green gel food color*
- ¼ cup coarse white sugar or white decorator sugar crystals
- 24 thin lime slices (about 3 limes)
- 24 cocktail umbrellas
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (or 325 degrees if you’re using dark or nonstick pans). Place a paper baking cup in each of the 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- Take a large mixing bowl out and beat all the cupcake ingredients together using an electric hand mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Turn the speed up to medium and beat the ingredients together for another 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Stick the trays in the oven and let it bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out looking clean. Pull the trays out of the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, taking the cupcakes out of the pans and placing them on cooling racks afterwards. Let the cupcakes cool completely before moving onto the next step.
- Take a medium-sized bowl out and mix the frosting and food color together in it until completely blended. Frost all of the cupcakes. Take a small plate out and sprinkle the sugar on it, rolling** the edges of the cupcakes in it afterwards. Cut a small slit in each of the lime slices, twisting them and placing them on the cupcakes afterwards. Poke 1 umbrella into each cupcake and it’s ready to be served ! If you have any leftover cupcakes, store them (loosely covered) in the refrigerator.
*We couldn’t find any “electric green gel food color” so we just added 1 drop of green gel food color to every 5 drops of yellow into the frosting, stirring until combined and repeating until we got our desired color of frosting.
**We found that to be too messy so we just held the cupcakes at an angle and sprinkled the sugar along the edge of the frosting. That way the frosting didn’t get smeared.
These are so freaking cute and delicious ! We were hoping to taste the tequila but we never did. What we did taste though was a really good citrus-y cupcake ! We know the recipe said to roll the rim of the cupcake in sugar but we tried it with some kosher salt and thought it tasted really good. The salt was a nice contrast against the sweet frosting. In the end, it was good with sugar or kosher salt sprinkled along the edges.
We got this recipe from Betty Crocker.
We weren’t paid in any form to promote Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines or Great Value.
Take care everybody !
Today we went to Savannah to get some extra shopping done and when we went to PetSmart, we found this bed on sale. We think Serendipity gives the bed her seal of approval. The only way we could make this better for her was if we turned off the lights ! Serendipity is kind of a cranky cat so we’re sure that all the other cats appreciate her sleeping as hard as she is right now. As you can tell, no one’s brave enough to curl up on the bed with her !
Hi everybody, hope you’ve had a good day so far. Tonight we had Creamy Spinach Enchiladas but we had to share this picture with you ! This is our cat Midnight, we think he fell asleep but there is a chance that the fumes from the shoe knocked him out !
Hope you enjoy life !
This is how it feels when you finally get home from work and get to take your bra off and put on some sweatpants !